28 November 2010

Self-saucing Lemon Pudding

Photo from BBC Good Food
Regrettably, I don't have a photograph of my version of this one - although it was completely gorgeous and well worth a photograph.  The recipe stated baking it for 45-50 mins, but when I looked at it after 40 minutes, the top was incinerated!  I could have kicked myself all around the kitchen and back (had I have been capable of doing so).

Still, I managed to cut the burned top off and there was still around two-thirds of the sponge left - and it didn't taste burned at all - so we ate it anyway, just minus it's lovely brown crunchy top.

Once we've replaced our weighing scales (which have melted in some bizarre and unknown heat-induced accident that no-one can lay claim to), I'll have another go at this one.

The sponge is as light as a feather, owing to the whipped egg whites.  It put me in mind of Floating Islands, although floating on a sea of lemon curd.  The flavour was beautifully lemony - and not so lemony that it made your eyes cross and your saliva glands go into overdrive.  Just a balmy lemon curd that was completely yummy.

SELF-SAUCING LEMON PUDDING (serves 4)

Ingredients :

50g butter
200g caster sugar
1 lemon, zested
100ml lemon juice (include the juice from the zested lemon)
3 eggs, separated
50g plain flour, sifted
250ml milk
icing sugar for dusting

Method :

1.  Heat the oven to 180deg C/fan 160deg/gas mark 4.

2.  In a bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together until they are creamy.  Add the lemon zest and whisk again to combine.

3.  One by one, add the lemon juice, egg yolks, flour and milk until you have a smooth batter.

4.  Whisk the egg whites until firm but not stiff, and fold the two mixtures together.

5.  Pour into a buttered oven proof souffle or baking dish and put it in a baking tray half-filled with hot water.

6.  Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned (check after 30 minutes) and set and there is a gooey lemon curd below.

7.  Remove the dish from the tray, dust with icing sugar and serve hot, with or without cream.

2 comments:

  1. So! Here l am back again, after a couple weeks lay off, no PC....But, my friend Richard has built me a new one....AND, guess the colour...Oh! Yes! it's Pink....and, his sister has promised me a Pink keyboard for Christmas...! I'm over the moon with it..Phew!
    Sorry, that has nothing to do with food, does's it...!
    So!
    One thing l do like to see and read on your Blog Jenny, are the sweets.
    As you know l'm strictly a savoury person, salami, cheese's and olives etc., Never seem to get round to make'in sweets....But, if someone makes them.....I'm the first there with the spoon.. :).
    Well, I've six people for Sunday lunch to-day, and l'm do'in one of famous 'Road-Kill' dinners.
    It's o.k. two of them are local farmers.
    We've got pheasant, duck and rabbit....with ALL the trimm'ins....mmmmM! Can't wait. AND, a bottle of 12 year old port for later....cheers!
    Nice to be back, to follow one of my most 'Flavourite' Blogs. Take Care.....! :0).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back, Willie! Good luck with your road-kill roast - the mixture of game sounds intriguing and I bet it'll be just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...