I wouldn't recommend trying to make this for the family on a weekday before school - but when you've got half a tin of plum tomatoes without a job to do, it's a definite.
For those of you who aren't following my Facebook page, you might not realise that I'm having a serious crack at whittling the waistline. As such, I'm trying to keep my calories for the day to 2,100 - and it can be a challenge. This breakfast rocked up at under 200 calories, so it's a goodie!
You need (for one person) :
half a tin of plum tomatoes, each tomato roughly chopped into three;
a dessertspoonful of tomato ketchup;
a whisker of tabasco;
a pinch of sea salt;
a good pinch or more of ground black pepper;
one fresh egg, and
a very small piece of mature cheddar cheese (just enough to grate over).
You can, if you have them, add anything you like to the tomatoes - such as chives, basil, parsley, chargrilled peppers - anything you like.
Hungry people can add another egg - but that will increase the calorie total by 80 or so.
What you need to do, is :
1. Get yourself an ovenproof individual dish about twice the size of a ramekin.
2. Mix the tomatoes with the ketchup and whatever other flavourings you are using, including the salt and pepper. I mixed them directly in the dish.
3. Crack the egg onto the top of the tomatoes.
4. Grate the cheese - sparingly - over the top.
5. Place into a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or so until the top is lightly browned and the egg is firm. I cooked mine in my combi oven (the Beastie) on the oven/grill/microwave setting which sped things up even more - but I appreciate that not everybody has a Beastie in which to do that. You could always pop it under the grill if the cheese isn't golden enough for you by the end of the 30 mins.
Mmmmn. The slightly spicy tomato mixed with egg and cheese is a time honoured match made in heaven that didn't need anything more. What a great way to start the weekend. Gets a great big thumbs up from me!