2 May 2011

Boulangere Potatoes : a "special" version

We had these Boulangere Potatoes with the Pot Roast Brisket on Easter Sunday.  I had made Boulangere Potatoes previously, but this recipe looked a teensy bit more "special" and thus suitable for a celebration lunch such as I was planning.

It's a cracking good potato dish to do if you're going to be pushed for cooker top space, or you'd quite like to spend time with your guests rather than in the kitchen thrashing around!  You can easily make this to the "putting in the oven" stage, then cover with clingfilm and leave until you are ready to cook it.

I used a mandolin to cut both the onions and the potatoes, so that they would be of uniform size and so cook evenly.  Don't worry if you don't have one of these natty gadgets, it'll just take you a bit longer to carefully cut the potatoes.

There's not a lot more to say, other than "I commend these to the house"!

BOULANGERE POTATOES (serves 4-5)

Ingredients :

50g butter
1 garlic clove, grated
2 onions, finely sliced
4-5 large Maris Piper potatoes, peeled & finely sliced
20g thyme, leaves only, chopped
100ml chicken stock.

Method :

1.  Pre-heat the oven to 200deg C/fan 180deg C/gas 6.

2.  Butter a large ovenproof dish and sprinkle with some of the chopped garlic and onion.

3.  Layer up the sliced potato, onion, garlic and thyme, seasoning each layer as you go.

4.  Continue until the dish is three-quarters full, then pour the chicken stock over the mix.

5.  Put 4 or 5 knobs of butter over the top and bake in the oven for 20-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and browned on top.

Serve.

6 comments:

  1. ..not enough garlic, Jenny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic....As a Sicilian, shall l say anything.....
    Neah! Each to his own...! :).
    Use as much or as little as you like.
    I did want to say though, re the last post....
    Cooking pasta, and salt....No! No! No!....!
    Don't put salt in the water when cooking pasta....No! I don't care what anyone says. English chefs, and on telly, go mad with it. Good pasta has salt in it when made anyway. The only thing to put in the water, is a little olive oil/cooking oil. And, that's just to keep the pasta from sticking.
    There...l've at my little moan....lol. And it's only 7:15, and l've only had one cup of lemon tea.....! :0). Have Fun....! Ciao...Ciao...! :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm sounds fab - can't remember the last time that I made boulangere potatoes! In fact, the whole lunch sounded gorgeous, will definitely be making the fennel gratin at some point in the not too distant future.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian - Willie's right, you know! lol You can easily add more garlic. In fact, the original recipe said to use two cloves and I cut it down to the one, which was more than enough for me - and my Mum, come to that! I love garlic, but I have to be a garlic wimp, I'm afraid, because I have a sensitivity to it in that it makes me itch something wicked if I have too much!

    Willie : that's interesting, that you don't add salt. I find that if I don't salt the cooking water, the pasta is terribly dull and almost flavourless. Maybe it's the type of pasta I've been buying!

    Seren : do let me know how you find them, if you do make them - and the same goes for the Fennel gratin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll bring these over to Food on Friday: Easter Foods. Cheers from carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...