11 September 2010

Rich Biscuits

We're having a high tea for our evening meal tonight, for two reasons.  Firstly, because it's our son's favourite style of meal and secondly, so that we can celebrate the chutney I made earlier in the week.  Although we're pretty well catered for with things to eat, to pad out the provisions a little, I thought I'd make some biscuits.

Photograph c/o my inhouse photographer, Chillibob.
Rose is a Blue Moon, grown by Chillibob.
We don't have much in the way of biscuit making ammunition in the cupboard, but I had an idea in mind of some crisp, thin biscuits that would go well with a cup of tea.  Inevitably, my first port of call for recipes such as these is the Be-Ro website, where I found their recipe for "Rich Biscuits".

However, needless to say, I adapted it a bit.  Well, it wouldn't be "mine" unless I changed it here and there, now would it?  *chuckle*


RICH BISCUITS

Ingredients :

125g self raising flour
100g gram flour
100g sugar (caster or granulated)
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
100g butter or margarine
A clementine orange, zested and half of it juiced
1 small or medium egg, beaten.



Method :

1.  Heat oven to 180deg C (fan) and prepare two baking trays by either greasing them or laying baking parchment on them.

2.  Mix the flours, baking powder and sugar together, rub in the fat.  (I put them all together in a food processor and combined them that way).

3.  Add the zest, juice and sufficient egg to make a stiff dough.

4.  Lightly flour your worksurface and roll out the dough thinly, cutting into 3 inch rounds.

5.  Place on baking trays and bake for around 15 minutes.

Do the clearing up and then put the kettle on!  :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm no goog at making biscuits of any sort. It's a real pain. I dream of having a plate of homemade biscuits to revel in with a good cup of tea. Any biscuits at all - squishy cookie style, brittle ginger style, anything. I just constantly fail to make any sort of edible biscuit. They have many failings, but my main problem is burned outside edges and raw in the middle :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. No 'goog' whatsoever at typing either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL :)

    I reckon your cooker may be having something to do with your biscuit failures, then. You see, my cooker cooks hottest at the front, so if the recipe says "bake for 15 mins", I know to bake for 7 mins, then turn the tray around and bake for another 7-8 mins. Another possibility is that you're crowding too many together on the baking tray, and the ones in the middle are taking longer because they haven't got the space around them to heat up.

    These biscuits had to be rolled out so thin, that they were a nightmare to get off of the worktop, so hence they are rather eccentric shapes, plus there are some that were rather more well done than others, as they were at the edges of the baking trays. Some are still slightly spongey in the middle, as they weren't rolled out thinly enough. However, I at least know what I did wrong with them, and can adjust it the next time I make biscuits.

    I have to admit that this was the first time I've made biscuits in a very long time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oven is really, really terrible (to close it to cook properly, rather than just heat up, you have to duct tape it up), so for now I shall take refuge in everything being the oven's fault. Marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there you are then! Something like biscuits demands an oven that's hot, so that they can cook quickly. One that heats up then cools down as it all escapes out of holes, is no good at all! I bet if you had a good oven, your biscuits would be merveilleux! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies.....Ladies.....The MOST important thing in the kitchen...besides a very sharp knife, is yer oven. It is well worth spending the money. I bougjt my first oven in 1978, a New World double oven for £600. It lasted me 24yrs, broke my heart when l had to replace, it was family, you see! And now l have a New World range cooker, (Which, after a bit of wheel'in and deal'in, cost me, also, £600) and that was 6yrs ago.
    And, yes always stick to gas, don't know how anyone can cook with electric...ooooh! that'll start an arguement....sorry...but 'There it is'
    But, then, l can cook a Banquet on a log fire...!
    Oh! the biscuits look lovely...sorry but this old PC of mine decided to go AWOL yesterday. Got ALL the spiders off the web, so we're up and runn'in now....! AND, l'm being taken out for lunch to-day...mmmmM! Have a nice day.....! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...