9 May 2011

Devilled sausages : a family favourite

What can I say about Devilled Sausages?

They have been one of my few recipes that I have carried forward over the years.  They date back to childhood, when my Mum would make a much less interesting version - but no less tasty - which was always greeted well.

When I moved out from home and went to live on the boat, they became a staple there too.

I can remember making them once I'd moved back to dry land, in a shared house in Kingston Upon Thames.  I used to accompany them with an enormous home-made coleslaw with sultanas, or a big old salad - sometimes involving banana!  Enough for everyone.

When I moved to my own place in Oxshott in Surrey, I can remember coming home from a day at work, then an evening with the horses, then walking the dogs and finishing by whipping up eight devilled sausages.  I'd eat four that night, then keep four more for the next day which I'd eat cold with the home-made coleslaw.  Yummy!

I doubt there will ever come a moment when Devilled Sausages are suggested and rejected.  I hope not, anyway!  As good hot as they are cold, they can be packed into lunchboxes or even - as I did - packed into boxes to accompany a picnic dinner whilst watching Gilbert & Sullivan at Polesdon Lacey.

You can tinker about with the devilling mixture, but this is the one that hits the spot after all these years.

DEVILLED SAUSAGES  (makes 8)

Ingredients :

1 pack of 8 pork sausages, Cumberland are good, but plain old Pork are best.
1 tablespoon of Branston pickle (Brown pickle)
2 teaspoons of Dark Orange Marmalade
1 tablespoon of smooth Peanut Butter
2 teaspoons of Madras Curry Powder
1 teaspoon of English mustard powder
Optional ingredients include a teaspoon of mango chutney and however much hot sauce you prefer!

Method :

1.  Pre-heat your oven to 180deg C.

2.  Take each sausage and cut a slit into it, along the long side.  Open the slit out until you have made the sausage boat-shaped.

3.  Place it on a baking tray and fill with a teaspoonful of the devilling mixture.  Ensure the mix is spread from end to end.

4.  When all sausages are complete, put into the oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on the size of your sausages).

5.  They are done when the sausages are well coloured and the devilling mix has melted into the sausage and browned.

3 comments:

  1. I am salivating! No doubt devilled sausages will soon be in the Greedy Family future :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I forgot to mention, was that an additional ingredient for the devilling mixture can be English Mustard - a half a teaspoon. It just serves to pep up the heat aspect of the devilling. I don't use it these days, because son & heir has taken against mustard. However, I'm sure I'll come back to it again once he's over that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an unusual combination in ths sauce. Thanks for all the great porky dishes. Cheers from carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...