22 March 2011

Chicken & Creamy Penne Pasta : a quick classy meal

This is one everybody should like - provided you enjoy chicken, that is!

The first time I tried this recipe, son & heir was away on an extra-curricular sleepover and I had planned an entirely different meal.  However, being suddenly down to two people for dinner seemed too good an opportunity to waste on standing sitting in the kitchen cooking!  So I looked for something a whole lot less time consuming - and found this.

I don't remember why I didn't blog it at the time, probably just got swamped by other things.  Real life does have a habit of doing that from time to time - getting in the way!

This dish really couldn't be any easier.  One frying pan, one saucepan, two plates and bingo! you've got dinner.

It is very easily scaled up if you're wanting to feed more than three, however one point that might be worth noting is not to be tempted to overdo the bacon.  I did this last time - and won't be doing it again as it stamped, quite firmly, all over the other flavours.  One other thing - it is perfectly okay to use plain old peas, instead of the petits pois.  We can't all have a bag of petits pois in the freezer, just waiting for us to need them.

CHICKEN WITH CREAMY PENNE PASTA  (serves 3)

Ingredients :

1 tbsp olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, grated
100g smoked lardons or streaky bacon
4 tbsp dry white wine
100g frozen petits pois
5 tbsp double cream
220g cooked penne pasta


Method :


1.  Heat the oil in a deep non-stick frying pan and cook the onion until transparent and softened.  Add the garlic at the last minute and cook for another minute or so, then remove to keep warm.


2.  Add the chicken breasts and scatter around the lardons.  Leave to cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, or slightly longer if the breasts are particularly chunky.


3.  Turn the chicken over in the pan - it should be golden - and give the lardons a stir.  Allow to cook until the second side is golden and the lardons are cooked through.


4.  Add the wine and let it bubble over a high heat until it has virtually evaporated.  Now, add the petits pois, cream and penne.  Season to taste and stir well.


5.  Cover the pan and cook for as long as it takes until the chicken is done all the way through.


Serve straight away.


.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Greetings from Canada!
    Just came across your blog.
    Nice blog and great photography!
    I shall return...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and welcome! I expect you came here looking for rhubarb recipes (I guessed that from looking at your site, "Rhubarb Recipes"! lol). I'm afraid they are few and far between at the moment, as Ruby (our Rhubarb plant) was quite young last year. However, this year, she's gone crazy and is growing like a proverbial weed - so I suspect I'll be coming to your site for inspiration as to what to do with her. I see you've a recipe for Rhubarb & Strawberry Pie, which I had recommended by my American friends, too. I'm very glad you found us! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...