5 February 2011

Jamaican Beef Patties

I've had this recipe lurking in my "must try this one day" folder for ages and ages, waiting for such a time as I feel confident (or desperate) enough to try it.

Well, last Monday was obviously one of those "I'll feel like it when I get there" kinds of days, as I included it on the week's menus.

In actual fact, by the time I got to Saturday I was indeed feeling quite confident about it, as I'd read and re-read the recipe and although it was a bit long-winded, it didn't actually involve much.

I'd decided to serve the patties (or doorstops) with a Mango Salad, so as to keep the Jamaican theme going on and in the hope that if they turned out to be terminally dry, the Mango would help juice things along a bit.  It was just as well I didn't need to rely on the Mango though, as it was a few days off being really ripe and so was a bit lacking in juice!

The patties themselves had an interesting flavour, the combination of garlic, thyme, Ancona chilli sauce and allspice created an overall taste that wasn't like anything I'd had anywhere else.  I'd only used a teaspoon of the Ancona, so they didn't leave you gasping for breath.  The chilli was restrained, but there.

Hubby was of the opinion that they didn't shout "Jamaica" to him, but everyone enjoyed their patties and we decided they were definitely worth another go.


JAMAICAN BEEF PATTIES


Makes : 4 large patties

Ingredients :

500g minced beef
¼ tsp ground allspice
salt and ground black pepper
olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used Ancona)
1 garlic clove, grated or minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
200ml water
4 spring onions, sliced
1 egg
2 sheets puff pastry

Method :

1.  Heat some oil in a deep frying pan, add onions and fry until translucent.

2.  Add pepper sauce, garlic and thyme and continue to cook for another minute, then add a pinch of salt.

3.  Add minced beef, allspice and pepper and toss to mix, breaking up any clumps, and let cook until the meat is no longer pink.

3.  Add ketchup and salt to taste.

4.  Pour in the water and stir.  Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and whatever is remaining has reduced to a thick sauce.  Sprinkle and fold in the spring onions, remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.

To assemble:

1.  Beat the egg to make an egg wash, set aside.

2.  Spread each roll of pastry out flat and roll it a little to reduce the thickness, but take care to keep the sides even.

3.  Cut each roll of pastry in two – it’s up to you whether you do it diagonally or into two rectangles.

4.  Place a quarter of the meat mixture into half of each section, then brush with egg around the outside and fold the extra over the top, pressing down on the edges to secure them.

5.  When all are done, brush with egg and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm, with a mango salad.

.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Lovely....Have'nt had one of these in ages.
    The last one was in Dorchester, there is, or there was a shop, up the Antelope Arcade, just on the right, ovens and all, so you could get them nice and hot. With different fillings.
    And, two things, you probably know already....
    1)Why is the pastry thicker at the bottom on one side.......So, it can be held and eaten while still hot.
    2)In the old days, they used to divide the pie, inside into two. One side filled with meat etc.
    and the other side with a sweet, apples, plums etc. Then cooked. So, when they took them out to the fields, the farmers had a main course and sweet all in one.
    Well, l had good shop in Morrisons this morning,
    bought three packs of diced pork, 47p,48p and 50p. So, that's topped my curry pot up for a while. Also got three large rib chops, reduced to £1:49. Sell by date, to-day, and, and, a large chicken for £1:99. Sell by date, to-day. That's in the oven right now, along with a duck, keeping it company. In fact my whole basket cost just under £16.
    Am l a shopper.....Or am l a shopper.....! :)
    Compliments to your son and heir.....lovely photos of the cherries....though, l thought they were plums when l first saw them. Nearly got some this morning, to dear.....So l bought two punnets of strawberries for 49p each, special offer.
    And, good luck to him with to-days dinner, just what l like to hear, not enough girls learn to cook now-a-days, let alone boys.
    When l went to school, (l did, l did). Boys did woodwork and metalwork, and the girls did needlework and domestic science. What a sad state of affairs it is now. I even had a lady friend down the road, last year, bring me a pair of her sons trousers, to take up, she could'nt do it, so l did them for her, and it cost her a couple bottles of wine......Sad...so very sad....! My Mum taught me everything l know, and in turn bringing my daughter up on my own for 13yrs l did the same. She's a chip off the old block.....Well, not that old....:0)
    Enjoy your Sunday dinner...tell us about it next time.....With photos....! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the "savoury one end, sweet the other" was restricted to the old style Cornish Pasty, rather than the Jamaican Patty. However, I don't see why not - I'd certainly eat one done that way! lol

    Way to go on the money off shopping - that's a fair old haul you got there! I'm still congratulating myself over our 5 fresh chicken breasts for £5, but your shopping trip beats that hands down.

    I'm glad that our son's school has included Food Science on the curriculum. I agree that boys should learn how to cook - as indeed girls should be included in woodwork and metalwork. I remember I opted for Technical Drawing at school, but on the first lesson I chickened out because the class was all boys, who were running riot! I wound up doing Typing - which was the making of me, so I can't really complain!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...